Smart Home Technology: DIY or Hire a Professional?
Consider These Questions Before You Decide
Popular smart home platforms like Amazon Alexa and Google Home are leading the wave of consumer technology trends crafted to simplify daily tasks and make life easier. The nearest superstore in Charleston, SC likely has aisles of affordable smart locks, smart bulbs, smart thermostats, and more.
As accessible smart home devices continue to multiply, you may wonder: Can you install your own smart home technology system without the help of a professional integrator? The answer isn’t so simple. If you’re considering DIY, ask the following questions first before forgoing a smart home expert.
Ask These Questions First
DIY solutions are excellent for starting small, like installing a video doorbell or adding some smart lightbulbs in the kitchen. But what if you want to expand smart lighting control throughout your whole home? Or maybe you want to integrate your lighting, shades, and thermostats to conserve energy. Don’t forget that many smart devices come with their own apps and don’t always work well together.
Think of the goals you have for your smart home and ask yourself the following questions:
- Do your desired smart home devices integrate and work well together within a single smart home ecosystem?
- Are your desired smart home devices easily scalable in order to serve expanded areas inside and outside your home?
- Do your smart home devices offer robust and reliable security against cyber threats or potential hackers?
- Can your existing home network support your smart devices along with other connected home devices, like smartphones, TVs, and tablets?
- Can you manage your devices from a single platform, or will you be required to keep up with multiple apps, controls, and manuals?
- Are your smart devices easily recoverable if a technical issue occurs, such as loss of internet?
- Can you easily update your smart devices to keep up with new needs and trends as technology continues to evolve?
Partner with a Smart Home Professional
DIY is possible if your smart home goal is small. Today’s consumer technology is getting smarter, more reliable, and more affordable than ever. But if you desire a comprehensive, integrated smart home system that brings together the power of all your connected devices and home entertainment into a single platform, a smart home of that caliber requires the expertise of a professional.
Let our team at Custom Home Sound bring your smart home vision to life. By partnering with us, you’ll receive a free consultation with our team to discuss your questions and goals in detail. We’ll then design a custom-tailored smart home system that precisely fits your needs, install everything for you, and offer ongoing service and support after the project is done.
Learn more about our smart home services or get started today by calling (843) 532-8346, filling out our online contact form, or sending us a live chat below now. We’re excited to work with you!